I really liked this one but Mike refused to try it. The original recipe was in the Rival Crock-pot Cookbook but if I make it again I won’t do it in the crock-pot as the vegetables became very mushy even though the taste was still very good. It was not a very pretty recipe.
Creole Vegetables and Chicken
- 2 (14-ounce) cans, diced tomatoes (I used a quart of tomatoes that I canned)
- 8 ounces frozen okra, cut
- 2 medium green peppers, chopped
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 can chicken broth
- 3 teaspoons Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried Thyme
- 2 bay leaf
- 1.5 pounds chicken tenders, cut into bite size pieces
- 1 teaspoon Creole Seasoning
- 2 teaspoons Splenda
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- Franks Hot Pepper Sauce to taste (I used about 4 Tablespoons but I LOVE spicy)
To a crock-pot add tomatoes with juice, okra, bell pepper, onion, celery, chicken broth, Worcestershire Sauce, thyme and bay leaves. Cover and cook on low for 9 hours.
In a non-stick pan heat olive oil. When pan is hot add chicken and cook stirring frequently until completely cooked through. Remove from heat and add to crock-pot and add remaining ingredients. Cook on high for another 15 minutes. Makes 8 servings.
Nutritional Information: 158 calories, Carbohydrates- 14.8 grams (fiber- 1.9 grams, sugars 1.4 grams)
Net Carbs- 11.5 carbs